Sunday, December 31, 2006

Home Again, Again

I never really know how to use the term home... Fresno (now Auberry) is home because its where my family is, even though I've never actually lived in the new house. Maybe it's because it is almost the same as the old house, and my old room is still a bedroom, that it still feels like home. I will say that the scenery around the new house is much nicer. I understand why they would want to move out of the city (understand, but I wouldn't do it myself)






I enjoyed seeing so many friends and family, and the trip to San Francisco was a good time. Adam, Ed, Heather and I went to the DeYoung, in Golden Gate Park. It has been a while since I've been to the park and the Haight Ashbury District. The new De Young has a great perforated metal facade (possibly Cor-Ten) and the tower is much less obtrusive then I had heard. In fact the whole thing reminded me of a Mayan Temple complex.


The circulation through the museum was unclear, particularly since so many of the rooms opened on to each other. this seems like a good idea, as it allows flexibility for curators and visitors, but it makes it difficult to follow any sequence. On occasion I would find that I had overlooked a room, or that I had inadvertently jumped from one collection into another. Still the museum had some very interesting moments, such as views into the atrium, or out to the sculpture garden. Also the galleries were fairly straight-forward, with well diffused lighting. The art was not overpowered by the architecture, which I feel is important in museum design. I didn't get a chance to visit the cafe, since it was a fairly short visit.

There were a couple notable exhibits, such as the Ruth Asawa collection (above) most of the work was her woven wire sculpture, along with some photos and drawings. Ed took several photos (both openly and later surreptitiously) so I recommend his blog if you are interested. He should be posting them soon. Adam took photos of the small but interesting furniture collection. The furniture was spread out through the museum according to period, which makes sense but also suggests that the furniture is secondary to the paintings. Perhaps that show my bias.


The museum was also hosting "The Quilts of Gee's Bend" a fairly well know collection of quilts from an African American community in Alabama. Some day I want to take up quilting. I'm particularly interested in the adaptations of traditional patterns, which was a theme among many of the quilts on display. Perhaps there will a longer post about quilting in the near future.


But now I'm back in Seattle, my other home. Holiday was good, but it wore me out and I had to have a day alone walking the neighborhood, getting an overdue haircut, that sort of thing. Next post, New Years day reflections and that sort of stuff.

2 comments:

edluv said...

i actually only took 2 photos of asawa's work. i was taking a third when the docent explained to me that since the museum did not own the pieces (on loan) they were not available to be photographed.

i really would have liked to take more photos of her work, especially trying incorporate the shadows created as well as the pieces themselves.

in general, the museum really spurred my desire to work again sculpturally or in mixed media. glad you suggested going.

Adam said...

I agree with Ed. When I got out of there, I also felt like I'd had a good kick in the pants (figuratively) in terms of getting going on my own stuff.

Now I've got an aunt asking me to build her the FLW barrel chair. THat should be an interesting project.