Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Happiest Place on Earth


Keep Disneyland, give me Powells City of Books.

Yesterday I drove down to Portland (in Nihls the Saab- I love cruise control) with 4 boxes of books. They turned down about a box worth, but I still came out of it with $250 in store credit (what can I say, I have good taste in books and they pay a decent rate) for a shopping spree. Usually when I go to Portland I am with friends, and we have several goals for the trip. This time it was just me, and Powells was the sole destination. After parting with my precious books (this is the first time I ever sold any of my books, it always seemed wrong) I headed to the cafe to fuel up on coffee and lunch. All told I spent about 6 hours in the store. Of course that meant another trip to the cafe, and I even had the pleasure of running into Travis and Holly, and darling little Lyla (sp?) who now has about times the hair as Travis. They were kind enough to invite me to stay at their place that night, but I had it in my mind that this would be a day trip, and I have a hard time changing plans.

This is a new discovery about myself, I like to think I'm a pretty laid back flexible person, but when I get an idea in my head for how to spend the day I have a hard time changing it. If I've been looking forward to taking a long walk around the neighborhood and hunkering down at a cafe with a good book, you'll be hard pressed to convince me otherwise.

Of course no trip to the bookstore is complete without a couple items for myself. Most importantly a book called Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro, recommended by Leah Jost. Leah has never let me down yet so... I also picked up a book on Shaker architecture and a history of the house.

Next step, sell off some cd's for another shopping trip.

4 comments:

Adam said...

That button would be a sweet t-shirt. I'm sure there is one floating around somewhere.

Justin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justin said...

In fact there is, but I've only seen them for girls...although you have a nice shapely form...

I bought it in sticker form for the car

jeffrey ottem said...

Powell's is awesome. When I was living in Portland and I got laid off my job, I sold books at Powell's for food. They give a great rate. Unlike HalfPrice Sucks who, for the same four boxes, would have shelled out a whopping $12 and a hearty Thank you.