Thursday, December 07, 2006

Book Lust

I was asked for a book suggestion the other day, and I figured why not pontificate to the public about my favorite books. So this evening I sat in front of my recently thinned bookshelves ( 6 boxes are going to Powell’s Books in Portland next weekend, partly to make room for books piled on the floor and partly to help pay for holiday merriment and presents) and came up with a list of my top 10 fiction books. They are presented in alphabetical order by author. Of course there are many others that I feel bad about not including, but one has to draw the line somewhere.

1. Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
2. The More Than Complete Hitchhikers Guide by Douglas Adams
3. The Classic Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
4. Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaardner
5. The Glass Bead Game by Herman Hesse
6. Borderliners by Peter Hoeg
7. Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murikami
8. The Chosen by Chaim Potok
9. In The Beginning by Chaim Potok
10. Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins
11. Refuge by Terry Tempest Williams

Also ran/ honorable mention:
1. The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey
2. Kafka was the Rage by Anatole Broyard
3. Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan
4. Foucault’s Pendulum by Umberto Eco
5. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Persig

What can I say, it’s hard to limit yourself to a list. Keep in mind these are only books from the fiction wing, and only those on the shelves. Presumably none of the books to be sold would make it on the list. And of course there are a lot of other great books, fun (books like The Cockroaches of Staymore by Donald Harrington or the Frisco Pigeon Mambo by C.D. Payne) or challenging in their own way (like Vineland by Thomas Pynchon), but I must not have read them recently enough to list them today. It should also be noted that these are not necessarily books that I would recommend to others. Some of them remain on my shelves for particular reasons beyond their literary worth.

So what have I missed? Are there any books that I have been a fool to go so long without reading? Any that ought to be removed from the list? Do you people read?

11 comments:

jeffrey ottem said...

Reading is awesome. I would suggest Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. If you haven't read McCarthy he is possibly the greatest living American novelist. Gravity's Rainbow, Pynchon. If you read Vineland and liked it, it's not Pynchon's best. I would suggest Gravity's Rainbow and The Crying of Lot 49. I am just finishing Mason And Dixon, It's all right. American history mixed with Pynchon paranoid humor and frantic maneuvering of prose. Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. It's in the sciencfiction section, but it's more about tech business and world war 2. It's a poor man's Garvity's Rainbow. But very good. My new favorite book I just read is Saul Bellow's Henderson the Rain King. It was awesome.
I just watched High Fidelity last night. Top *some number* lists are all over that movie. My favorite was Top Five all time songs about death. Mine would include Iron Man by Black Sabbath off Paranoid, Burma Shave By Tom Waits off Foreign Affairs, Hung My Head by Johny Cash off American IV, Romance In Durango by Dylan off Desire, and Nebraska by Springsteen off of Nebraska. Not that that has anything to do with your top ten books.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I'm seeing the musical of "High Fidelity" in NYC tomorrow with John. Our friend plays one of the leads.

Hey J-Dog, does your list of books come from the "BOOKS ON THE BEADSTAND" on your homepage? What's a beadstand? And why are your books on it?

;-)

Love,
K.

Anonymous said...

Before I read further on your blog....I LOVE Powell's. Every time we go to Portland we make a special trip to downtown and spen a day there. I got lost as a kid once. Ok I'll finish reading your blog now.

Anonymous said...

Well I can't be much help. I'm currently reading A Framework for Understanding Poverty and Statistics for People who (think they) hate Statistics. Would recommend if you were a teacher for the poverty book, it's pretty powerful especially if you teach a lot of kids who live in poverty. When I do read for fun I'll give you my list.

sorry I couldn't be more help.

ps....I love powell's!

Justin said...

Jeff, the Crying of Lot 49 almost made the list, but its been so long since I read it, I felt it needed to be reread first. I am about half way through Gravities Rainbow. It's good, but I have a hard time maintaining momentum with Pynchon. He has a new one out, supposed to be the second only to Gravities Rainbow. I've been meaning to read Cormac McCarthy.

It should be bedstand, hadn't noticed the error. The books on the bedstand haven't made it onto the list, although I am a sucker for the Harry Potter, and Perec will definately be on a non-fiction list.

And finally, yes, Powell's does rock. I could sell my books to the UW bookstore, but a trip to Powell's is like a pilgrimage, a sacred journey.

Anonymous said...

*sigh* I heart you for being a sucker for Harry Potter... I sooo can't wait for the next one!

Adam said...

I likes me some Richard Dawkins, but if you're into religiosity or spirituality, he can harsh your mellow.

Old favs always include works by Norman Maclean specifically A River Runs Through It and Young Men and Fire.

If you want some poetry, I recommend Phillip Levine, a local to Fresno. His latest or one of is called Breath. Very nice as Borat would say.

On my ever growing list of books to read, I have a couple of Bill Bryson books though I've only read A Short History of Nearly Everything.

That oughta do for now.

Unknown said...

#1 Favorite of all time: Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
Honorable Mentions in order of "they came to mind"):
Iron John: A Book About Men by Robert Bly
The Thought Gang by Tibor Fischer
Zen and the Art... by Pirsig
Desert Solitaire by Abbey
The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama

I know some of those are the same as on your list, but I just wanted to second your opinion on them. Also, I'm sure if I looked into my boxes, I would find lots that don't pop into my mind right now, but those are the ones that do.

Justin said...

Adam,

I recomend Brysons "A Walk in the Woods" As much as I like his writing, I prefer to have them as audio, because his delivery is great. So much of his sense of humor is British (he is american but lived in England most of his adult life) and his wry sense of humor comes through in his voice.

Adam said...

Yeah, I have I'm A Stranger Here Myself and In A Sunburned Country on my desk here. He also has a new one out.

Unknown said...

THis puke-green background... ugh. To borrow a phrase from Gollum/Smeagel:

"It burns us! Bleah!"