Saturday, March 07, 2009

The table is finally finished and in place! Actually its been there for about a week but I've been to lazy to blog about it. In the end I discovered at least four layers of paint, a large decorative flower motif, Jane and Elmer's names carved on the bottom, and a bunch of holes filled with hard white putty. I sanded around the names and added my own name and date elsewhere on the underside. As for the white putty, I drilled it out as best I could and filled the holes with epoxy before applying the finish. In the end I think it turned out pretty nice. You can see the original post here.


We are out of billable projects at work, so I've started working on a model of the house we just finished. Model making is one of my absolute favorite parts of the job, if I thought it would pay a living wage I would take a job as a model maker.
This one is 1/8"=1', with chipboard for the original parts of the house, and basswood for the new/altered parts. Eventually it will sit in a contoured base made of cork.

A shot of the inside. I didn't spend as much time being exact on the interior modeling, because you won't be able to see too much of the interior when it is finished. Otherwise the gap at the top of the wall (you can see light coming through) would drive me nuts and I would have to rip it out and replace it.

Now it's a rainy Saturday morning and I'm sitting on the couch wondering what the day may hold for me. So far it hasn't progressed beyond a cup of tea and the internet, and doesn't look to change anytime soon.

4 comments:

Kara DeFrias said...

Outstanding.

Adam said...

The table looks great dude.

Charlie Barley said...

nice job on the table man!

Anonymous said...

The table looks great -- you've been busy! If you get bored, I have a redwood wall that would love to be sanded ;)