Monday, March 16, 2009

Book arts

Lisa sent me a link to this video, and I really enjoyed it. I love the idea of the pop-up, and particularly the illustration style.



Can anyone tell me how to embed videos without clipping the edge?

This weekend I went out to the Bellevue Art Museum for the first time, primarily to see a collection of quilts. They also had an exhibit called Book Borrowers: Contemporary Artists Transforming the Book. There were some pretty interesting pieces.

The first is by by James Allen. Unfortunately I couldn't find any images of my favorite piece "The Alchemists Kitchen"

The next two are by Brian Dettmer.




They reminded me of an issue of Zoetrope the Chipp Kidd designed a couple years ago. He used a lot of artwork by Thomas Allen

This one wasn't in the issue, but I think it's remarkable.
Admittedly I bought the magazine because there were several food related articles, but it would have been thrown out long ago if the artwork wasn't so amazing.

3 comments:

liz said...

did you go see fiber arts without me in retaliation for me going to portland? lame. i totally invited you!

edluv said...

on the clipping the edge, i suspect it's the width of your column. go into your html template, figure out what is the width number of either your sidebar or your main content and either make it smaller or bigger.

lisa said...

this stuff is gorgeous, Justin. thanks for pointing at it.