Thursday, March 19, 2009

Newspapers

Ed had a post the other day about layoffs at the Bee, and I commented about how the Seattle PI was closing down. They issued the last print edition on Tuesday, and are now have a scaled back web only version.

To be honest, I don't subscribe to any newspapers, and I usually only read web stories when I am directed to them through blogs or aggregate sites. I think that is becoming much more common, and so it was surprising to see the story posted on BoingBoing about the New York Times going after the IP of the site Apartment Therapy with copyright infringement take-down notices. Sites like Apartment Therapy are the only reason I end up at the Times, and if newspapers want to successfully manage the switch to revenue generating websites, I think they need to realize the importance of blogs/aggregators/etc that direct traffic their way.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Yeah. So dumb. I don't understand why some of these people and companies can't understand that the internet is about networking, hence the name. Business strategies must be rethought and legal action won't do much but forestall your failure.