Monday, March 09, 2009

porky heaven

mmm... home made sausage
roll it up into a log shape, with some cooked bacon in the middle. Place it on top of a woven blanket of bacon...
roll the bacon blanket around the sausage log
throw it on the grill with some hickory chips...and you have the bacon explosion!!

Next time I will remember to process the sausage with the paddle attachment to emulsify a bit. While super tasty, it didn't hold together very well. That wasn't a big issue since we were eating on plates with soup and salad etc. Next time I want to serve it burger style, so it will need to hold together after slicing.

4 comments:

edluv said...

interesting, it looks like you've got two layers of grill w/foil underneath to catch grease. i like that idea.

the bacon explosion was making all sorts of noise around super bowl time.

Justin said...

That was about the time 3 different people sent me links to the story (NYT?)

My roomate requested it for his welcome home, which was this weekend.

You cant see them, but on the left side of the grill is a small pile of natural lump briquets (10 or so) and more woodchips. that way the heat wasn't too close. I probably could have bumped up the temp, because I ended up having to finish it in the oven at the party since 2.5 hours wasn't enough smoking to get the internal temp high enough. Still I feel more confident about long slow smoking on the grill.

Adam said...

Looks yummy. Give me a heads up next time you make one.

Anonymous said...

I'm getting on a plane at this very moment and flying up to eat that thing.