Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The zipper experiment- live blogged

I know, how exciting is this?! Live blogging my first attempt at sewing in a zipper! Can you stand it?! Can you stand all of the exclamation points I intend to use throughout this post?!

Step one, obtain the requisite sewing machine, zipper, and zipper presser foot. It also helps to purloin a pair of pink shears and promise to use them only for cutting fabric as directed by the note written on the case. Really, how can you help yourself when they were at the top of a clear plastic bin full of sewing supplies stored in your basement? How I ask you?!



PART 2

Read instructions from zipper package. read again. read again while miming actions... toss instructions and dive in.

Roughly following the discarded instructions, I stitched the pocket opening closed, then working from the inside basted a loose stitch to hold the zipper in place. At this point I abandoned the instructions and just started sewing.
When I thought it was sewn in enough not to come apart (still my biggest fear about anything I do) I tore out the basting stitches. TA DA!!! A ZIPPER!!!
The end result is a scarf with a pocket, an idea I stole from this website I posted the other day. Next time I will try to sew in some sort of pocket lining. For now the pocket is open to the entire length of the scarf.

2 comments:

Adam said...

I'M ON PINS AND NEEDLES!!!11!!!1!

(did you get the sewing pun?? Didja?!)

liz said...

well done, young justin. seriously, i am quite impressed.