Wednesday, November 18, 2009

ramen snacks

For the record, I would like to state that I have a long history with eating ramen noodles straight from the packet. Sometimes I would sprinkle on the seasoning, but more often than not I would just crunch away on the uncooked brick o ramen. As the college years wore on, I discovered that ramen also had miraculous powers in avoiding (or at least minimizing) raging hangovers. The secret was, rather than collapsing into bed, you grab the biggest glass of water you can get your hands on, a packet or two of uncooked ramen, and you head into the great outdoors for a stroll around the block. My theory is that the water diluted the booze, both of which were then sucked up by the ramen, which slowed the absorption of alcohol into the body.

I'm no doctor, but I think I'm on to something.

What I never understood is that nobody shared my love of raw ramen. Come to find out, I've been in the wrong part of the world.

Thanks to the wonder that is Uwajimaya, I have come to realize that the Japanese have a rich appreciation for ramen based snack products. Sadly I can never remember my favorite brand, so I can't show you a picture. I can show the crazy new product that I tried tonight, the "everyone says GOOD GOOD EAT" ramen disks.
I want to go there

4 comments:

Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

This entire post is hilarious because the only people I have ever known to love raw ramen were the little kids I taught back in Fresno. They especially liked to eat it raw, sprinkled with the shrimp flavor on it.

And I'm pretty sure they just liked the taste, and that they weren't warning off a hang-over. But I could be wrong.

edluv said...

strange, i love raw ramen. we lived together. how did we never connect on this?

hell, we shared a room for a year, how did we not figure this out?

btw, the word ver is tater. tater? yes gollum, tater.

Adam said...

I still eat raw ramen, had some a few weeks ago. And I always sprinkle the seasoning on. It's delicious.

Justin said...

I never knew I had so many raw ramen devotees for friends. Everyone gets Japanese ramen snacks for christmas!