Sunday, November 26, 2006

A day of decadence


Yesterday was a fantastic day of decadence that I can ill afford but felt justified in splurging for. After a nice long lay in, I shuffled around the house for a while then bundled up (the temperature is dropping, its snowing at the moment and is supposed to freeze tomorrow) and hoped on a bus downtown. I had avoided shopping on the day after Thanksgiving, but I was interested in seeing what it was like downtown. Turns out the crowds were not too crazy, but had I been on a serious shopping trip it would have driven me mad. Still, I love living in a city with a real downtown, where the sidewalks are full of people and you can pop into a variety of shops. I limited my downtown shopping to the KCTS store (the local PBS station) for a Christmas present for Dad. After that I headed to Belltown, a neighborhood just south of downtown.

Not having shared my bed with anyone for several years (the last being Tre, who was always welcome until the nose licking became intolerable) I hadn’t felt the need to impress with my bedding. After three years of neglecting the state of my bedsheets, I was finally convinced to buy a new set when the pillowcase seam came undone in my hands. It may not seem like such a decandant thing, but new sheets are luxurious in my mind. I chose a handsome deep red with directional striped, very classy.




Continuing the day of decadence, I strolled over to Le Pichet, the French cafĂ© that I’ve mentioned in the past. I love Le Pichet, but I only go there on occasion, sometimes to meet a friend, occasionally alone. This time I had a book with me and found a seat at the counter. I had the Oeufs plats, jambon et fromage, with a glass of Cote du Rhone, and finished with a frothy cappuccino. Then I went across the street to browse in the architecture bookstore. What an enjoyable outing. Nothing on it’s own was remarkable, more the combination and intention. Eating lunch in a restaurant is not remarkable in itself, nor is buying sheets. The act of setting out on a weekend afternoon to stroll through the shops, pop into a charming bistro for lunch and a glass of wine while reading, then a bit more browsing, it makes for a charming day memorable not so much for its uniqueness but for its idyllic simplicity.

4 comments:

Adam said...

Sounds delightful. I'm assuming you carried these sheets around with you since you rode the bus, but I guess sheets aren't that bulky.

Anonymous said...

How lovely. I understand the feeling of comfort in the simplicity. Last year, I spent the day after Black Friday walking around New York City by myself, having a great Kara day. I had a wonderful lunch at Rosa Mexicana (a splurge) and saw the new Idina Menzel play at the Public. Then I wandered around town shooting cool things with my camera. Yay for lingering days in downtowns! :-)

Monticore said...

Sounds great but you might want to lay off using the words/phrases "handsome", "lay in" or "fantastic day of decadence" if you want some one to share that new bedding with you. =P. Miss you bunches.

Anonymous said...

I am jealous. So... you can watch the kids when you come so I can have a me day? Kidding!!! I am glad for you and a bit envious.

Cyndi