Wednesday, November 08, 2006

CA visit

My Holiday return to Fresno is immanent, and every time I think about visiting I have grand plans to see buildings that I should have seen ages ago (the Eames and Shindler houses, the Dominus Winery, etc.) but haven't. This time I am determined to see the new De Young museum in San Francisco.
the height of the tower was controversial, people were afraid it would be an eyesore in Golden Gate park.

The architects, Herzog and de Meuron, use perforated or printed skins on many of their buildings, usually creating fantastic effects. The question is when does this detract from the art. From what I can see the galleries seem to be fairly traditional.


If anyone is interested in a day trip to the museum let me know (I'm looking at you Ed)

I will be in town from Dec 21 to Dec 29, and as usual looking for a couch to crash on a couple nights.

9 comments:

edluv said...

you know, i'm good for a museum/sf trip. and, i know a peeps in the city (my aunt has a swell place in the avenues) and the bay area (eleanore has a futon). no guarantees either is a place to crash, but always a chance if we want to overnight it.

Adam said...

Eleanore, her old roomie, and I walked past it while they were constructing it several monthes ago. It looks pretty dang awesome.

Monticore said...

Our couch is free if you don't mind sharin' it with Mrs. Puddles.

I'm down for a trip to S.F. but we would have to go to the Zoo as well. You're lucky it's in Golden Gate Park too.

Justin said...

lets plan on it. Maybe the 22nd. I'll check on the holiday hours.

timidvenus said...

sounds like fun, but i doubt ill make it to sf with you guys. i am planning on coming to fresno while youre there though. its been forever.

Justin said...

I can't wait to see baby Woody!

Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

I know you probably are busy just planning Thanksgiving, but are you planning on being in CA for Christmas?

Justin said...

Um, yeah....
the 21st -29th. I will be up at my parents on the 23rd and 25th for sure, other than that everything is open.

edluv said...

did you find out about the holiday hours? post xmas seems like it may work a little better for peeps.