Sunday, March 04, 2007

Wa(o)nder

The Peripatetic philosophers, a school following Aristotle, may have taken its name from the paripatoi a term for covered walkways such as those at the Lyceum where Aristotle formed his school. The term peripatetic means “one who walks habitually and extensively”. The association with Aristotle also suggests that quality of aimless walking that facilitates reflection and thoughtfulness. I’ve been reading a book called Wanderlust, often at cafĂ©’s midway through long aimless walks of my own, which examines the history of walking and its social, political and philosophical implications. The section that I just finished discussed the connection between solitary walking and philosophical reflection, particularly the role it played for Rousseau and Kierkegaard. Both relied on walking as a mental exercise, as a time to allow both body and mind to wander freely or to compile, sort and organize thoughts.

I’ve always enjoyed walking, but it seems an odd thing to say. I had to fill out a questionnaire recently that asked for hobbies/ activities, and I wrote walking, but felt the need to add /hiking, as though saying that I walk as a hobby simply didn’t make sense. And in fact I think walking really isn’t the right word, although hiking certainly doesn’t describe the urban wandering either. Perhaps ramble is a better word, the Brits have rambling clubs for people who walk through the countryside as a form of recreation. In fact I think that England was when I really began to ramble in earnest, going for long solitary walks through a small patch of woods or the pastures on the edge of town, as well as aimless walks through the town itself. Those walks are some of my most cherished memories of England, and have nothing to do with castles or clubs or any of the other more glamorous adventures. Likewise many of my happiest times now are when I’m out walking. This weekend I probably walked 15-20 miles (which explains why my feet are tired and I have a blister- converse are not the ideal walking shoe) and found neighborhoods I hadn’t explored before. I also witnessed spring peeking out, with flowers and tree buds popping up everywhere. Obviously I also spend a lot of time looking at houses, but more often than not I’m not really looking at anything, I’m just wandering and allowing my mind to wander in a way it wouldn’t were I sitting at home.

Like my rambles, I'm not sure that this post really has much of a goal. I was struck by my readings and given a new insight into my own love of wandering. It validated my own love of rambling and I thought it would be nice to share. How often do you go out on walks, simply for the sake of walking and looking and thinking. I'm sure for some poeple another activity can be substituted, like biking or cleaning (freaks) or sanding planks of wood or some such. Regardless, I still suggest everyone go out for a walk, an hour minimum. Those of you in the tower, stroll through the neighborhood, maybe down old Van Ness. The Springs folks have a charming neighborhood as well, plus the river to walk along. Get out and ramble.

2 comments:

edluv said...

i used to enjoy my daily bike rides to school or work in a similar fashion. it had a functional perspective as well, but also was a great time to reflect. the motorcycle is good for this as well, but not quite as good (little faster, plus some more cars & speed mixed in).

Adam said...

I enjoy walking around the Tower a lot. Now that it's warming up a bit, I look forward to riding my bike to work again and being able to reflect on things as I do so.