Thursday, March 29, 2007

It's been a while...

Let me just say, in my defence, that it's been a busy couple weeks.

As always work is busy, but beyond that there have been out of towners, the yard, etc etc. Of course that's no excuse, and when I saw that Ed had added Kendall and Kasey (who I haven't met yet) and threatened to start pulling people from his sidebar, I knew it was time to get typing.

As an update, Jeff has returned from Norway and promptly moved into Ballard, the remnant of a Seattle's Scandinavian Ghetto. I'm glad to have Jeff back in the country. Carly was in town to interview at arch firms, she will be moving back soon (never should have left). for those of you that don't know them, they are UW friends.

The same weekend Carly was in town, Lisa (sister of the Jay) was in town. We got together last Monday and saw Patti Griffin. Good show, but the opener was a bit of a disappointment.

That weekend also included an attack on the blackberry in the backyard. Blackberry is an invasive species, and a bitch to clear when it takes hold. I spent hours ripping it out from the trees along the back fence. By the time I was done the sun had set, so I left the detritus piled in the back yard.


Later that week, Shawna was in town on business, so we had dinner at the Palace Kitchen. This was my first time to one of Tom Douglas' restaurants, and I was not disappointed. I was particularly excited about the cheese menu, so we had a flight of cheese as an appetizer. I think we both agreed that the Humboldt Fog was the best.






On Sunday I went into the yard with the simple aim of cutting up the vines and sticking them in the trash. 5 hours later I had torn most of the plants/weeds/morning glory out of one side of the yard, and made respectable progress on ripping out a holly tree (it was a volunteer). My roommate got the chainsaw out and went to town on a big stump that has been there for years. He got most of it out, but dulled the chain in the process, so we each have a bit more work to do on the next clear weekend.


This week opened with another concert, Sondre Lerche at the Crocodile. I absolutely love Sondre Lerche, particularly the lounge-y Faces Down stuff (if you don't know him, he's a Norwegian singer, indie/rock). the show was great, including the two opening acts. Unfortunately he didn't go on until around 11:30, which means the show didn't end until 1am. By the time I caught the bus home (because I hate trying to park in downtown, and I wanted to have a couple drinks at the show) it was about quarter till 2. I'm a working boy, I can't do that sort of thing. It tuckers me out.


Now here it is Thursday evening, and I'm still worn out. But I've managed to post something, albeit drivel about my daily life. I promise something a bit more thought provoking in the future, but for the time being its this or nothing.

Except to add that the miracle of Netflix, and the informed tastes of my roommate Ted, brought a great documentary to the house. Its called Slasher, about a guy that travels around the country running slashed price sales at car dealership. It was fascinating, I highly recommend it. Also somewhere in there I made a really delicious pork tenderloin en croute, sort of like a beef wellington. It took a couple hours to prepare and cook, but it was worth it.

3 comments:

liz said...

oh my, cheese menu. i don't miss cheese that much...but when i hear 'cheese menu'...
good job with the backyard, you should post some pics. liila would be proud.

Monticore said...

Don't let Ed push you around it only feeds his godfather complex.

Anonymous said...

Hope you're not all visitored out...I have a free Southwest ticket I need to use and for some reason Seattle's a callin'... :-)