Saturday, October 14, 2006

Things that come with a house: Part One- Television




I may have mentioned this before, but my move to the house means entering the world of TiVo. Let this post serve as my declaration of love for TiVo! I watch far fewer commercials now, and I can even stomach watching football (an unfortunate side effect of moving to Dude House) because a 4 hour game really only consists of about an hour of playing. I still haven’t really figured out how to program TiVo, so it doesn’t record the things that only I want to watch, but my roommates have good taste in shows…for the most part. This leads me to the next section, shows that I now watch that I would never have watched on my own.

First up, Amazing Race. Yes I used to watch it in Fresno, but the constant bickering really gets to me and I stopped watching. Now I am back into it. My vote is for the moms, they seem so positive and supportive of each other and the other teams. I doubt they will win, but I will support them to the end.

Next, Laguna Beach. It’s like The Real World meets 90210. Every episode is a train wreck, and yet a house full of guys (the afore mentioned Dude House, or The House of Dude) tunes in every week to yell at the tv, simultaneously TiVo-ing it for later replays.

Last up, Wild and Out. I think this is on MTV, although I’m not sure. It’s a hip-hop/stand-up comedy-contest type thing. I’ve come to love it. Charlie Murphy was on the other night, funny stuff.

Other than that I am excited about having access to the shows I’ve always loved but can only watch when visiting friends with cable. The list includes: The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Good Eats, most of HGTV and the FOOD Network. A great new show is Mythbusters, where they test out myths and urban legends.

In summary, my television world has expanded and been equipped with the wonderful gift of Tivo. Now the trick is to not spend the entire evening on the couch watching TV. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

jeffrey ottem said...

Justin, I noticed Gilmore Girls is suspiciously absent from your list of shows. I Justin wanted to remind you about so you didn't forget to have Brent show you how to Tivo it.

liz said...

hm. all those crappy shows. that was fast! i bet you could figure out the tivo on your own in five minutes...