Tuesday, December 13, 2005

This is the title of a book against imersion baptism

I found this while doing a search in the UW library database for "anabaptist."

Young, Samuel, fl. 1684-1700

The duckers duck'd, and duck'd, and duck'd again,
head, and ears, and all over; for plunging, scolding,
and defaming : Occasioned by a message
brought me by an Anabaptist. Thus if you stop not the
press, four men will swear sodomy against you. Humbly
offered to the consideration of learned, pious
Anabaptists; who confess I have given their cause of
plunging a dreadful blow. With friendly address to Mr.
Philosensus, whose mistake in thus joyning this Greek
and Latin word together, helps me to a thought against
plunging. That it not only tends to, but actually doth
deprive some men, but especially women, (on their own
confession) of their senses when baptized, (as they
call it) and therefore is not, cannot be an ordinance
of Christ, but a human, or rather diabolical
invention. With more arguments against plunging. By
Trepidantium Malleus

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand most of the events in that passage, but what are they talking about?

Someone gets baptized, then people are going to slander somebody if he keeps printing, then some intelligent Anabaptists engage in submersion as a baptismal rite, then people go out of their senses when submerged, so it can't be of Christ. Wow. I don't think I couldst have spake Englisch with theyse kinde people.

Justin said...

it's the sodomy things that I don't understand

Unknown said...

I think it was a threat to /say/ that he was a sodomite. I don't think they were threatening to do it to him. yipes!