Monday, October 03, 2005

Guten Tag

I decided to take a German class this quarter, and hopefully for the rest of the year. I would like to think that it is all packed away inside me somewhere, cultural heritage and all that. Unfortunatly that doesn't seem to be the case. Of course I've only had 5 classes, and haven't really studied much on my own (flashcards and the like) so I can't be too surprised.

The rest of the quarter will be taken up by an AutoCAD class, GSA (grading and tutoring) for an Arch history class, and researching my thesis. My thesis has something to do with the relation of ethics and aesthetics, but I'm not exactly sure where the research will take me. I know that it will not get into issues of sustainability or professional ethics. Most people who write about it focus on either honesty of materials (don't paint wood to look like marble) or ethics as representation of the ethos (zietgiest, worldview) which I think is a cop-out, or at least a misuse of the term ethics. Expect to read more about it in the posts to come.

Other than that my life is the same. I still live in a tiny studio, I'm still single, and I'm still being crushed under a rising mountain of debt that only the lottery or my eventual demise will resolve. On the bright side I have my health, good friends, and a passion for what I do. Debt be damned, I'm staying in school!

4 comments:

edluv said...

i think i need to learn german for doctoral studies. stupid german theologians.

Unknown said...

Guys, I'll be learning German soon as well. Pimsleur beginning German should get me past the front door of the bars this Christmas.

Justin said...

yeah, I pretend I'm learning to read the philosophers and theorists, but its really just to pronoun the names of german beer

Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

I'm supposed to take a foreign language component but I found out I can take a computer component. So instead of speaking German or some romance langauge, I will speak the language of dorks and nerds.