Friday, October 14, 2005

Church going folk

So last night, after a cram session for today's German test, I had lost much of my English vocabulary. There is a college Christian group that meets in the arch building (why here?) on Thursdays for worship. My friend was commenting that they were all hanging around for a long time after it ended, and I said it was all part of the community building, etc. It was then that I realized I forgot what we called that time. You know, the coffee and donut time.

So here is my question:

What do you call the time set aside for socializing, and the space where that occurs? Also what are the various names for the worship space?

Yes, I am ashamed that I don't remember what they were called at my church (any help Heather). Problem is we switched to the all in one sanctuary basketball court, so those separate spaces disappeared.

And yes, I realize this points out how long its been since I attended church, hence the name of my blog.

Side note: I ran a spell check just now. The spell check does not know the word "blog"

4 comments:

Adam said...

There was a particular room in our church growing up where some of that socializing took place and it was called the "fireside room", likely due to the stone hearth with a small fireplace flanked by bookshelves.

I don't remember what the more modern and frequently used room on the side of the sanctuary was called or if it had a name.

Unknown said...

"After the service, there will be coffee and donuts in the Fellowship Hall."

That was always a great thing to hear as a kid.

edluv said...

fellowship is what i was going to say. like, "during fellowship time grab a cup of coffee and talk with somebody about the weather."

key area for said time was (@y church):
foyer

Justin said...

Maybe fellowship hall is the term I was looking for.