Sunday, September 06, 2009

The Cube

"..undiluted Tokyo chic.." NYT

Anyone who has ever rented a car knows that, regardless of what car you sign up for, the first thing they ask you out in the parking lot is what kind of car you would like. When my roommate told the college kid that we wanted anything pink, I think he realized that here were two boys he could convince to drive out of there with a bit of flair. Hence the free upgrade to the Nissan Cube.
This thing looks like it escaped from a bumper car ride in toontown.
Note the oval windows...and the wrap-around rear window .
I did like the convenient location of the coffee cup holder...
...but I'm not sure how I feel about the shag carpet on the dash. I suppose it is meant to hold your cell phone, etc. I don't have a grippy case on my phone, so it shot right off its shag home.

Rumor (via wikipedia) has it the interior is inspired by a jacuzzi, to promote a comfortable and social atmosphere... um, ok... maybe I should have taken off my shirt and kicked back with a beer while it was on cruise control.

The vehicle of the future got all sorts of crazy looks, which would normally bother me, but was pretty funny.

2 comments:

edluv said...

i think that car is one of the ugliest things out there. it's like you took a xb, which has become fattier and uglier on its own, and made it worse.

Adam said...

Yeah, followed one of these the other day and I was inspired to fight back my gag reflex. Terrible looking car.