Sunday, June 28, 2009

quest for 1000


In my quest to add 500 miles to the bike by the end of July (it hit 500 during the last weekend in May) I decided to jump on the bike and head out to Woodinville. I hadn't made it to the Novelty Hill / Januik Winery. I had heard the building (designed by Mithun) was worth the trip.

I knew about Mithun before I had moved to Seattle, and I loved most of what I had seen. Now that I've been here a little longer (and have known several people that worked there) I am no longer so enamoured with the firm. Still, they have their moments, and I think this is one of them. It is an elegant project, with very simple but well executed details.


Sadly I misjudged the weather, and was forced to spend more time in the tasting room to avoid a June hailstorm. Of course that meant more wine tasting, and a bottle to take home. Eventually I tried to take advantage of a lull in the rain to ride the .1 miles to the Redhook brewery, where beer and food beckoned. That .1 mile was just enough to get soaked. But the beer was good and the soup was spicy. I had thought ahead enough to bring a book, so I waited out the rain and then rode home.

Another 40 miles on the odometer and the 1000 mark closing in.

No comments: