Sunday, June 28, 2009

Catchup

I realized that with the exception of a couple Married to the Sea comics, I had let a lot slip by since my last post. This will count as catch-up.

1. My birthday came and went. I'm not much for announcing it, so not many people knew. I was in Idaho for work, so it was pretty easy not to mention it to anyone. My friend Charlie was kind enough to give me some pretty amazing coffee, as well as a cool mug with a shortbus headed to Stumptown. (side note- the most expensive coffee in the world is the Kopi Luwak, which is passed through the digestive system of a Civit. It can sell for up to $600 a pound. This was not that coffee)
2. June being birthday month, the weekend followed with a Central District-First Hill-Squire Park-Madrona progressive dinner by bike party for Charlie. I never really took a head count, but there must have been at least 20-25 people. It made for a great ride between stops, with great food and drink at each.


3. This weekend I headed down to Olympia to visit Leah. I'm always a bit tripped out by Olympia. It is the state capital and although it isn't very big (about 50,000 people) I'm always surprised by the uber-hipster vibe. I'm told it's a result of Evergreen College, although I don't know anything about Evergreen. I'm not sure I understand the place, but its nice to visit, and each time I get to experience a little more of what it has to offer, as Leah gets to know more people and places.
One of the surprising things is the number of murals, etc in the downtown area. The one above is an exploded espresso machine portafilter on the side of a coffee roastery. It was about 6' tall.
I'm not sure what was in this building, but it is just down the street from the capital building. Pretty well done. Possibly as a result of the murals, I didn't actually see that much tagging. I love murals and graffiti art, but I think tagging is akin to dogs pissing on trees to mark their territory, and I was glad not to see much of it.

8 comments:

edluv said...

i hope that during your bike progressive dinner that no one endangered their life or the lives of others by riding a fixy.

edluv said...

and should you have desire and money to burn, the andersons will be in fresno something like july 12-19. many of those same days mcbrian also has a cabin @ dinkey creek/camp fresno.

with all of this happening, i promise the possibility of:
gambling
drinking
loose women
looser men
karaoke
maybe even death and dismemberment

hopefully not that last one.

word ver: quetelan - the aztec god of said above activities

Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

Happy Birthday month Justin!

Justin said...

At it's peak, I would say the posse was probably half fixie/single.

Monticore said...

Wow that progressive dinner looked like so much fun! I wish I was as cool as you Justin.

Monticore said...

Also by the title of your post I thought it revolved around the condiment not a cath-up of your life.

duble-u said...

happy b-day old roomie, looks like life is fun up there

The Mrs/Mom said...

I'm a dumbass and deleted my old blog, here's my new one.

http://bejanderson.blogspot.com/

This is not spam!