Thursday, January 15, 2009

Furniture



Adam and I have been talking for a while about future collaboration in furniture. We have very different styles, but I think we both have a lot to bring to the table. As much as he likes to bitch about work, I am jealous that he gets to spend each day in the shop. My work life is centered around the desk and computer, and it starts to get old.

To that end, I am stepping away from the computer and building a piece of furniture for the house I have been working on! I even bought an air-compressor and a couple nail guns. They aren't the top of the line, but for the time being they are everything I need.

The compressor and tools were a package deal at Home Depot, and a Christmas present from the parents.
I don't have a real table saw, nor do I have room in the basement to even improvise a good cutting table. Fortunately the lumber yard will cut down the sheets for an hourly charge. I think it cost about $150 to have them cut up 10 sheets into all the pieces I need.
The birch
The CVG (clear vertical grain) fir
And finally the CVG solid stock. These images should give you a good idea of the cramped conditions in my basement.

The fun starts tomorrow, the install starts on Wednesday, and I hope to be completely finished by the end of the day on Thursday. Hopefully I won't be working constantly between now and then, but it's been a while so I want to give myself plenty of time. Not to mention that I obviously don't have a spray booth, so I will be applying the finish by hand. And the headboard is clad in 600 lineal feet of 1/2"x2" material that has to be laid up and attached after the install.

I'll try to document the process.
I have to say it's making me really excited about getting back into furniture.

2 comments:

Lulu said...

I really like that design! I look forward to see the finished result.

Kara DeFrias said...

So cool! I still tell people that when I'm rich enough my friend Justin the architect is going to design my dream house for me.

I'll settle for watching you build your bed for now. :-)