Friday, November 28, 2008

Weekend Plans

Don't you just love 4 day weekends?!

I made a brief excursion today to cash my paycheck and swing by the library. I also stopped at 7-eleven to buy a mega millions ticket. Someone is going to win the $110 million, I figure it may as well be me.

I realized when I was out that it was actually the last thing I wanted to do, and I've resolve to venture out as little as possible between now and monday morning. To that end I've built a little pile of books:

-Wind in the Willows (I'm a little over 1/2 through)
Supreme Courtship by Christopher Buckley (who recently stepped down from national review after endorsing Obama)
-The Golem by Isaac Bashevis Singer
-Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire, he wrote Bewitched, the retelling of Wizard of Oz. I am a little reluctant about this one, because the second book Son of a Witch was pretty terrible


How are you spending the long weekend?

UPDATE:
I finished Wind in the Willows, Lion Among Men, and the Golem, and watched The Empire Strikes back and the good parts of Lord of the Rings 2 and 3 (the bits without all that tiresome trudging towards Mordor.)

In order to not be completely lazy, I walked around Greenlake to the library where I returned the books and checked out The Princess Bride. I didn't realize it was a book before it was a movie, and that the book is supposed to be really funny.

4 comments:

Kara DeFrias said...

I just finished Son of a Witch. Ugh. Terrible -- what happened to Nor? Did Candle leave because the baby was green? And there was no suspense as to whether he was Elphaba's son because, duh, Maguire put it IN THE TITLE that he was!

I actually wasn't a fan of the middle third of Wicked (too much exposition), but you know how much I loved the musical (though the ending of that kind of upset me, but that's a rant for another day).

Justin said...

Finished A Lion Among Men. It was interesting, mainly backstory for the lion and Yackle. It was better than Son of a Witch, but that doesn't mean it was a great book.

Still, good for a lazy day. I managed not to leave the house, at least not beyond the front porch.

Kara DeFrias said...

Yackle, really?

Does it lend any more backstory to Elphie or anyone else?

*sigh*

Leah said...

Have you read The Never-ending Story? I used to have an old copy but someone borrowed it and now believes its theirs. Stupid people. I think you would like it if you can find a copy. Maybe at Powell's...