Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Random Bits

1. My pick for cutest contestant on the new season of Top Chef is Radhika. I just hope she doesn't cook every dish with and Indian flair, because repetition never gets you very far in the competition.

2. My other current TV obsession is Top Gear, a British car show. I'm not sure why I love it, I've never been a big car guy. I have always been an Anglophile, and I think the British sense of humor has a lot to do with it. For the same reason I'm fascinated by the show Guarding the Queen, a documentary about the Grenadier Guards (they guard all the royal residences.)

3. I'm beginning to worry about my job. Hopefully it is pointless fretting, but I know that we are finishing up a couple projects and we've been spending quite a bit of time working on putting together project portfolios. If the damned client would just give us the go ahead we would have more work than we know what to do with. As it is we are just waiting, and we can only wait for so long before there are too many people in the office being paid to wait. Anyone know of a good high paying job in the greater metropolitan Fresno area?

4. On that note...and in keeping with the overall economic malaise, I decided once again to gather up all my change and take it to the coinstar machine.
Can you believe that pile was actually $50.71!!! I went with the Amazon gift certificate option, which means they don't deduct the 9 cents per dollar fee. It also means I'll be doing some Christmas shopping on Amazon. Plus there is some extra promotion for cashing in over $40, you get an extra $10 somehow. I need to mail in the bottom of the receipt, then wait however many weeks for something or other. I'm sure it will be something lame like ten bucks off a night in a timeshare in Lake Tahoe.
5. Step two in my quest for Christmas on the cheap, used book sales. As I was finally getting my books off the floor and onto the fancy new cinder block bookshelves in the closet, I set aside anything I could part with and packed 3 boxes for a trip to Powell's. Last year I got about $250, but I doubt I'll get anywhere near that this time. It may end up a wash after I figure gas to and from Portland. Still it's a trip to the happiest place on earth.

7 comments:

The Mrs/Mom said...

I love Powell's. Every time we go to Portland we always make a day of it. It's a place to get lost in.

We did the same with all our DVD's and books last year at Hastings. But we went the selfish route and bought only a couple gifts for others and guitar hero for us. Hastings only give store credit or the rape you with caharges.

I learned something new aobut coinstar too, I didn't look at other options we just trade for money. Amazon certificates would be much better.

Well have fun in Portland!

The Mrs/Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah said...

I'm still cracking up over you becoming a gear-head. It's funny!

Kara DeFrias said...

You're thinking about moving back to California?!

edluv said...

i hit coin star the other day and pulled out $30. i went the cash route over my normal amazon route because daddy wanted some drinkin money.

i can maybe get you a part time job teaching general ed classes @ a private junior college. maybe.

Justin said...

I have a job through the end of the year, and by then we should know more. If I get laid off than I would consider moving back to Fresno.

Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

Seriously, Scott and I never carry cash.

No cash = no loose change. ever.

I bet the coin jar that was empty when we moved here three years ago only has about $2 in it tops. And that is probably all in pennies! :)