Monday, September 15, 2008

Weekend

Before I start, I have to say that I'm looking forward to the Henry T. Perea interview on TVLGFHF. It will be a hard act to follow, but I plan to get on there someday. I'll know I made it when...

On to the weekend. My friend Shawna was in town for work, so we were able to hang out for the weekend. We took a road trip to Ellensburg to see Roz, who we both know from different areas. It was nice to get out of town and see another part of the state.

On Saturday we did a bit of pickling. I bought a pressure cooker/canner and rummaged through the fridge and garden for things to pickle. We settled on green beans, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower, and baby corn. Since it was all a big experiment, I mixed it up and did some with apple cider vinegar and some with rice wine vinegar, mixing up the seasonings (garlic, ginger, onion, dill, etc.) All the jars sealed properly, so now I'll give them a month to get their pickle on, then I'll crack them open.

When the pickling was finished we hopped on the bikes and rode out to the Red Hook brewery in Woodinville with some friends. Matt and Carly came, and I'm proud of Carly for making the ride. I didn't tell her that it was a 40+ mile round trip, so she wasn't really prepared. But she did great. Katie brought her friend Cat, who I made fun of for riding a fixie. We had a good time, ate a bunch of food at the brewery restaraunt, and had a nice ride home in the dark.
(Random photo of the food.)

(Carly and Katie on the deck at Redhook)
(Cat takes over the camera. I like the beer! By the way I bleached my hair a couple months ago.)

Cat and I took the plunge and shared a Blackhook Porter Float. It sounded interesting, but we were a bit afraid. The trick is to fight the urge to eat the foam on top, just keep stirring until the ice cream is completely mixed in. At that point it becomes a yummy boozy ice cream treat.

5 comments:

liz said...

ooohhhhh...can we have a fruit canning party? pretty please?!?

Adam said...

I got to that picture of you and I was about to suggest that you try to have less stress in your life because the graying was really evident but then you clarified. Phew.

As for Perea, we haven't gotten him yet, no response on the scheduling. I was hoping he'd say yes and set a date before they actually listened to any of our old ones. =P

edluv said...

kids these days and their fixies. so silly.

Anonymous said...

So I have to say that the whole pickling thing intrigues me. If my garden ever gets rolling really good then I will have to try the whol epickling deal. Let us know how it turns out.

Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

Glad to see how you are doing. We miss you!
-Malisa :)