Thursday, May 18, 2006

scripture help

Ok seminarians, I need a bit of help.

I am looking for a scriptural basis for the following quotes:


"For there is no action so slight, nor so mean, but it may be done to a great purpose, and ennobled therefore; nor is any purpose so great but that slight actions may help it, and may be so done as to help it much, most especially that chief of all purposes, the pleasing of God."

"We treat God with irreverence by banishing Him from our thoughts, not be refering to his will on slight occasions. His is not the finite authority or intelligence which cannot be troubled with small things. There is nothing so small that we may not honour God by asking His guidance of it, or insult Him by taking it into our own hands."


They are both by John Ruskin, presented in the introduction of The Seven Lamps of Architecture to defend his application of moral/ biblical principles to architecture. I was thinking of Matthew 25:40 "...whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me," but that is not quite right, and I feel I would be taking the verse out of context if I used it.

So any suggestions?

4 comments:

edluv said...

let me keep thinking.

have you read domestication of transcedence? i skimmed it for a class, and may have loaned it to adam.

Adam said...

I don't think so, but I'll take a look and see if I've got it.

Anonymous said...

O.K. I think I have a couple of verses for you. That is if I reading the qoutes right. Along with a scripture I have included a link to Biblegateway so you can expand the chapter and see the verse in context. I also agree that Matthew 25:40 is out of context in this situation.

Regarding the first qoute:
I think the first qouet is saying that no matter how big or small, we should do things with the purpose of pleasing God.

So I give you I Peter 4:11:

11If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=67&chapter=4&verse=11&version=31&context=verse

Regarding the second qoute: I do believe he is saying that along with doing with the purpose of pleasing God we should seek His counsel. Regardless of big or small. For that I give You:

Phillipians 4:6-7

6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Philippians%204:6-7;&version=31;

Justin said...

I think the first will work best. In the grand scheme of what Ruskin is saying it has more to do with applying biblical principles to all aspects of life, in this case architecture which he considers a barometer of the spiritual health of society.

Thanks Tom