Friday, April 02, 2010

I've become a letter writer!

I know I'm getting older, it happens. All the same, it's a little scary when you find yourself thinking, "I don't like (whatever the issue is), I'm going to write them a letter!" I haven't reached the point where I write letters to the editor, since I still think that's about as useful as lecturing a brick wall, but I have started firing off letters to my congress-woman, the state Attorney General, etc. This morning I actually wrote an email to my investment company, Mennonite Mutual Aid, to lament the name change to the rather generic Everence.

(for those interested, MMA is no longer calling itself Mennonite because it scares people off and confuses them. story here)

Is it just me? (not counting Adam, who just can't resist jumping into the fray)
Am I becoming a crotchety old man in my 30's!



UPDATE:
I will say this for "Everence", they were kind enough to respond to my email. It wasn't a generic response either, it was clear that the woman who wrote the email was responding directly to me. I am impressed. It's encouraging.

5 comments:

Kara DeFrias said...

Really? A letter writer? Because I'm pretty sure I'm still waiting for a letter you owe me from November.

liz said...

oh, you've been crotchety for a while now. i think you have my address; you are welcome to send a letter my way anyday.

Jenny said...

First of all, that super lame that MMA is changing their name. Too bad they don't send us ballots to vote on that. I have found that I am an email writer about things that I don't like. I guess I'm getting old too.

edluv said...

I think a well written letter does grab the attention.

Adam said...

I remember when the church I grew up in changed from Madera Avenue Mennonite Bretheren to Madera Avenue Bible Church because there were enough people stopping by the pastor's office and complaining via letter (*wink) that it sounded sexist or that people didn't understand what it meant. And that was probably 15 or 20 years ago.

Or you can look at FPU changing the school motto so it didn't have Latin in it anymore. I thought that was particularly amusing that a 4 year institution of higher learning would dumb down their motto to be more accessible.

:-)