Tuesday, April 07, 2009

SUNSHINE!!!!

I think that the whole of the PacNW breathed a collective sign of relief and rushed out into the sun this weekend. It was the first real signal of a change in seasons, warm weather and sunshine the whole weekend.

I took Friday off, and spent the day cleaning the house and out in the yard with my roommate working on the garden. It was a fantastically beautiful day, and it felt great to spend some productive time outside.

Since I was so productive on friday, I decided that saturday should be a really selfish day. I spent the day wandering around Capital Hill, where I came across this mural. It is on the side of a building that is being demolished for a light rail station, and they had invited several artists to do installations in the empty storefronts. I'm not sure if this piece was part of that or not, but it has been up for a couple months. I've passed it several times, but now that the trees are in bloom, it really jumped out at me.

Sunday was the best day by far. Lisa (the intrepid leader of my recent horticultural activities) has some land out on Whidbey Island, so she organized a work party/brunch. The group that I went out with decided to park at the ferry but take our bikes across and ride to the site. Once again it showed how out of shape I am, but it was a fun ride all the same.
Don't get me wrong, we did some work. at the same time, it was a work/brunch party, so there was plenty of wine and food, and a bit of time around a campfire. Eventually we turned to games, and made Charlie try to stack the wood he is cutting (background) in a certain amount of time. He failed, and so I do not owe him a sandwich.
The games progressed to running through the woods, and wiffle golf, once again demonstrated by Charlie (although again he did not win, poor lad.)
Finally the return trip to Seattle. Unfortunately the iphone doesn't really capture panoramic vistas so well, so you'll have to take my word that it was beautiful.

Weekends like this make me appreciate living in Seattle, and make me want to enjoy it as much as possible while I am here.

2 comments:

Adam said...

What was the criteria for wood-stacking times? Was there a precedent?

Justin said...

The criteria was that it had to be a good looking stack as determined by the group of hecklers mocking his attempt. The time was determined by bravado, he claimed he could do it.