Monday, May 07, 2007

Food for the future

...by which I mean my future, not our collective futures.


This weekend was the Seattle Tilthe Edible Plant Sale, and although it was not the nicest day, Sunday became gardening day for yours truly.

Twenty five dollars later I walked home with:

Leeks
cipollini onions
savoy cabbage
broccoli
acorn squash
pumpkin of some sort (purchased on accident, thought I grabbed zucchini)
principe borghese tomato (you can leave them on the vine to sun dry)
chocolate bell pepper

I had prepped the garden patch a couple weeks ago, turning over about a foot of soil and mixing in an organic vegetable fertilizer. As a result, several volunteers had sprouted, remnants of last years plantings I assume. I'm not sure what everything is, so I'm posting them here for help.

This is some sort of lettuce, butterhead variety I'm sure, but which one? Maybe Bibb?
So far there are five or six of these.






I assumed this was a weed, so I pulled it. If it's something else, let me know so I don't pull any more.







Tomato?








Carrot? Or maybe an herb?








I don't have a guess on this one. It's pretty tiny, but the leaves are pretty.







Another mystery...

6 comments:

liz said...

good job, buddy.

i think it's:
lettuce
weed
tomato
weed (carroty-looking weed)
weed
weed

so yeah, seem's like you are mainly a weed farmer, for now.

Adam said...

Sooooo...Justin moved up to Washington and became a weed farmer? Just don't get caught bud.

edluv said...

or don't get caught with bud

JD said...

Looking good. Someday I may get to grow some good stuff at our new place. Right now, it is just a rock garden.

I'm not so sure the "tomato" is really tomato. All the tomato plants I've seen have a much more netted appearance to the leaf veination. I'm not sure what it is, but tomato doesn't seem right.

Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

Okay, not you totally inspired me to take a picture of my veggie garden.

Anonymous said...

Great work.